As a visual arts student, the topic of aesthetics is a widely discussed one and often leads to the conclusion that every person’s perception of beauty is subjective. This is my personal list of likes and dislikes when it comes to visual aesthetics.
- Close up visuals and intentional cropping of the visual frame.
- Easy to read fonts that make good use of highlighting, bolding, underlining and italicizing.
- Fun, interactive elements that keep the user engaged, but not overwhelmed.
- Simple punch lines that get the message across.
- Anything with turquoise. Also, thoughtful design.
- Information conveyed through walls of text without any visuals.
- Fonts that are uncomfortably recognizable. i.e. Papyrus, Comic Sans
- Confusing and disorganized navigation – too many or not enough links/categories.
- Neon colours.
- Any design that seems unconsidered and inconsistent.
My next post will show you a couple of designs that emphasize both my likes and dislikes.